[lbo-talk] Waterboarding: What goes around, comes around.

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 22:05:39 PST 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 6:02 PM, Michael Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 12:43:41 +1100
> Bill Bartlett <billbartlett at aapt.net.au> wrote:
>
>> The problem is that most of the prisoners can't be legally detained.
>> But they can't be released either, unless the US is willing to accept
>> them as refugees.
>
> We brought 'em here. If nobody else wants 'em, then the joke is
> on us.
>
> If you can't try 'em, you've gotta let 'em go. Or accept that
> the liberties and rights we all thought we had are just gone,
> gone, gone.
>
>> Some of these refugees are actually murderous lunatics.
>
> Oh come on. You can't swing a cat in this country without
> hitting a murderous lunatic. What's 200 more? Sheesh.
>
> --
>
> Michael Smith
> mjs at smithbowen.net
> http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org

I'm glad somebody said this. It is so obvious. If the U.S. government tortured people to the point where it drove them mad, then it has the minimum obligation to take care of them, and to take care of them here if nobody else will accept them.

Incidentally, when I call your statement "obvious" I intend it as the highest of compliments. Most of Chomsky's political genius is his ability to see the obvious. Your statement was "obvious" in the same way that much of what Chomsky says is, and deserves praise for exactly the same reason.