[lbo-talk] Waterboarding etc.

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Sat Jan 24 07:55:04 PST 2009

ken hanly writes:

> What bothered me is that the new intelligence chief refuses to
> admit that waterboarding is torture.

Reading between the lines on this, I think what he was saying was that he refuses to say that the people who did waterboarding in the past were torturers -- this may have some legal bearing on the past, and it might just be a silly distinction; he did say that there would be no waterboarding, and there would be no torture. Weasel words? Sure.

> Obama should think again about appointing someone such as that..

I think it's important to remember that this kind of thing is always approved/denied at the top, so in a sense, it doesn't matter what that guy thinks: it's only what Obama thinks that matters. And we know that his opinion is different than Bush/Cheney.

/jordan