[lbo-talk] Contrasting Slogans

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jan 27 09:33:38 PST 2009

Group One

The anatomy of man is a key to the anatomy of the ape. (K Marx

The final goal is everything, the movement nothing. (Luxemburg

Keep Your Eye on the prize. (Civil Rights anthem

Assume a distribution which will make your hopeless contract possible(S. J. Simon in "Why You Lose at Bridge"; paraphrased from memory

vs. Group Two

The movement is everything, the final goal is nothing. (Bernstein

When the facts change, I change my mind. (Keynes

The art of politics is knowing what to do next. (James P. Cannon

Add a kopek to a ruble

One step at a time

=====

There are probably many other equivalents, especially in Group Two, but these are the ones that come quickly to mind.

Carrol