[lbo-talk] Waterboarding etc.

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Jan 28 10:36:14 PST 2009

On Jan 28, 2009, at 1:12 PM, Dennis Claxton wrote:

> At 05:38 PM 1/23/2009, Chris Doss wrote:
>
>> So, do you think Leavenworth has accomodations for that many people
>> just lying around?
> At the risk of giving this "logistics" line on Gitmo any more
> credence than it deserves by responding at all, if there's one thing
> the U.S. can put together in a hurry it's a prison.

But what is required in *not* a prison for people charged with no crime. It is a prisoner-of-war camp, regulated by the Geneva Conventions, for prisoners seized (in what the US government considers wartime) as "enemy combatants." They have been held illegally (and it would be illegal even if they hadn't been tortured as well) for many years. Their continued illegal imprisonment is now just as much Obama's crime as it is Bush's. As I pointed out when Chris made his inane comment, Fort Leavenworth is huge, already contains the necessary accomodations, and is only one of many such bases around the USA.

Shane Mage