[lbo-talk] Waterboarding etc.

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jan 28 15:35:25 PST 2009

Dennis Claxton wrote:

> At the risk of giving this "logistics" line on Gitmo any more
> credence than it deserves by responding at all, if there's one thing
> the U.S. can put together in a hurry it's a prison.

These quibbles are of no intrinsic interest -- but do they have interest as grist for ideological analysis of the "soft left," defined as those who might subscribe to a list such as lbo but who are aggressively and not merely passively opposed to the building of an effective left. It ought to be axiomatic that a legitimate left would demand the stopping of torture before it started and the dismantling of any illegal prison caps no later than 5 minutes after noon, January 20. Any discussion of the difficulties that makes for the government I define as aggressively opposing the left.

So how do we explain the existence of that c ategory in the population, of which the quibblers on this list seem to fomr an ideal sample.

Carrol