[lbo-talk] Waterboarding etc.

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 16:47:46 PST 2009

Carrol Cox wrote:

> These quibbles are of no intrinsic interest -- but do they have interest
> as grist for ideological analysis of the "soft left," defined as those
> who might subscribe to a list such as lbo but who are aggressively and
> not merely passively opposed to the building of an effective left.

I hope you get some responses to this, I'm interested to see what such an ideological analysis would look like. But I have a question: I thought the movement was nothing, the final goal everything. How does that square with the idea that building an effective left movement is more important than first settling on a set of objectives. I know I probably haven't put my finger on a contradiction here, you seem to have this pretty well worked out - I just can't tell what the thinking is.

SA