[lbo-talk] Leninists find Jesus

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 09:55:31 PST 2009

My sense is that this isn't getting us anywhere. To my mind, what's telling about the class being offered is that its organized around an anthropological system that appears to mediate ecological and personal phenomena with culture... whereas most cranky left political economists (a phrase in a post that led a friend to suggest I hop on board here) tend to focus on the ways productive activity (labor) - broadly defined - mediates ecological and cultural conditions. Given recent exchanges around green social democracy on the list, it seems to me that the class - whatever its limits or contradictions - is being organized so as to address just exactly the ecological, personal and communal conditions/arenas many see as the foundation concerns of critical political ecology (most obviously, nodding to my institutional co-affiliation with JG, as O'Connor theorized them two decades ago). Obviously, what's missing in the class is the political economic situatedness of contemporary (and historical) conversations about the dynamic relationships between our natures, labors and cultures. For myself, it has always seemed that any sort of viable green social democracy (or subsequent step) is going to have to address questions of the kinds of ecologies, persons and cultures we want to produce and what that means for political ecology. Here's hopin' that conversation can be reasonably engaged.

********************************************************* Alan P. Rudy Visiting Associate Professor Dept. Sociology, Anthropology and Social Work Central Michigan University 124 Anspach Hall Mt Pleasant, MI 48858 517-881-6319