[lbo-talk] Leninists find Jesus

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jan 29 11:59:09 PST 2009

Dennis Claxton wrote:

> I think Doug has been quickly proven right that conversations about
> Christianity won't "get us anywhere." I'd still recommend the Zizek
> stuff though.

Except for Christian comrades (mostly but not all RC) Jan & I would have been pretty politically isolated in B/N from the mid-80s on. So I can't join in the casual bad-mouthing of Christians or the frequent assumption that they are all reactionaries. On the other hand, from what you and Duane have passed on from Zizek I fail to see what he says that adds or contributes to the really quite commonplace cooperation of atheist & Christian radicals over the last century. Shabe Nage's histgoricist reduction of Christianity to its tenesis is profoundly ahistorical, but I don't see how that necessarily differs from finding seeds of radicalism in that genesis.

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

>I'm surprised, and somewhat disappointed, that no one (including Goff,
>it seems -- I searched his site) mentioned Zizek's extensive work on
>the topic of Christianity as a revolutionary force.

Actual Christians make up much of both the rank-and-file and the leadership of many/most/all successful radical movements, and one does not need Zizek to tell us that. What am I supposed to learn from Zizek that goes beyond my actual political practice for 45 years? When there are and have been so many Red Christians, what does Zizek have to add to that histgorical reality?

Carrol

Carrol