[lbo-talk] Leninists find Jesus

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 12:24:32 PST 2009

Carrol asked:

Actual Christians make up much of both the rank-and-file and the leadership of many/most/all successful radical movements, and one does not need Zizek to tell us that. What am I supposed to learn from Zizek that goes beyond my actual political practice for 45 years? When there are and have been so many Red Christians, what does Zizek have to add to that historical reality?

Oh my god Carrol!

Didn't you read my entire post? Specifically, the part where I mentioned growing up in a Christian community? (An African American Christian community at that -- in which, activism of some sort -- though not necessarily 'red' -- is a necessity).

If I'm recommending Zizek's stuff, I'm doing so from the POV of a person who has an insider's understanding of the ways at least one segment of the Christian world lives, works and thinks. And also, some idea of 'red' politics.

In other words, if I found value in Zizek' s contributions, it's not for nothing.

How can I possibly answer your question when I don't know what specific lessons you learned in your 45 years of experience? Your reply is like someone saying that since they've worked on cars for 5 decades, there's absolutely nothing they can learn from a physicist describing the intricacies of the internal combustion process.

If I didn't know you better (or at least, felt that I knew you better) I'd call your response anti-intellectual!

.d.