[lbo-talk] Fwd: S&S Call for Papers

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 19:23:31 PST 2009

Julio Huato wrote:

> This may be of interest.

This looks interesting. Please post a link when the issue comes out. There hasn't been enough thinking yet about how the crisis might affect the politics of accumulation in the future. Hopefully you'll get some good pieces on this.

I'm a little skeptical of this framework for analyzing the nature of the crisis itself, though:

> The recent collapse of financial markets, housing, commodity prices,
> and employment has shattered the myths of neoliberalism and market
> fundamentalism. But conventional accounts of the crisis, focused on
> the role of subprime mortgage lending, complex mortgage-backed
> securities, derivatives, "shadow" banking, deleveraging, and
> widespread fraud leaves the deeper structural issues of capital
> accumulation, class relations, and systemic evolution out of the
> picture. How should the current crisis be understood in light of
> Marxist theoretical conceptions of capitalist dynamics?

All that stuff about securitization, leverage, the shadow banking system - that stuff really did cause the crisis, at least in a proximate sense. Yet I don't think there are any specifically Marxist conceptions of capitalist dynamics that would have anything significant to say about any of that. The problem is that while better mainstream economists can at least try to talk about *both* the wonky finance stuff and the deeper structural issues, Marxists tend to dismiss all that boring finance talk and jump straight into an attempt to cram everything into a deep Marxist structural framework - which is almost impossible to do persuasively because, again, there is no specifically Marxist theory of, say, financial fragility or the breakdown of the savings-investment channel.

SA