[lbo-talk] DP leaders seek to quell internal revolt over health care

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 16:42:52 PDT 2009

Yup. Medicare could charitably be described as the worst of a public / private partnership. There are enough distortions built into Medicare, distortions by geography, by practitioner discipline covered and by population-based outcomes, that I would not consider Medicare a very good model for any proposed public plan.

Actual statistics to back this up would be an interesting concept: over the history of Medicare, what percentage of those covered have also had private coverage? I suspect that this percentage has shifted as the role and from of pensions / insurance for retirees has changed and also as life expectancy has increased.

Wonder if the decimation of people's retirement savings in the recent economic collapse is going to make people more passionate about a public plan?

DC