[lbo-talk] judge rules against ward churchill

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Wed Jul 8 07:34:26 PDT 2009

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 23:16:31 -0400 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> This sucks, re: Churchill. But when were the universities riding high?
> When William Graham Sumner ruled the roost?

Aren't they still riding pretty high? I seem to recall that somebody pointed out here, a couple of weeks back, that the absolute size of the credentialling sector continues to grow. Certainly they've made themselves increasingly indispensable, and more and more credentialling is required to get a job. One sees lots of gleaming new buildings on college campuses, and the campuses themselves are expanding like West Bank settlements -- in my nabe, Columbia is growing like a melanoma. In fact, the credentialling sector and the closely- related incarceration sector seem to be the great economic success stories of recent decades.

Of course the notion that universities were ever havens of free inquiry is a self-serving myth -- and clearly the aggrandizement of the institutions themselves isn't trickling down to the poor Morlocks who patrol the classrooms. Au contraire, these hapless souls are experiencing downright immiseration.

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org