[lbo-talk] Roma history

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 9 12:06:21 PDT 2009

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8136812.stm

[WS:] I have to take exception to their characterization of the treatment of Romas (Gypsies) under communism, at least in Poland. Until the early 1960s they were able to lead nomadic lifestyle - I saw their camps near the place I lived - and only after that they were required to settle down. AFAICT, their main source of income (metal crafts) was undermined by industry well before communism.

I also recall the existence of a government-funded cultural center to preserve the Roma culture.

As far as popular attitudes were concerned, they were mostly less than favorable, but not overtly hostile. There were popular stereotypes of Gypsies "stealing" children or just stealing and cheating, bot otoh people used their fortune telling services offered at local bazaars. The attitudes worsened after the communist rule due to an influx of Roma refugees from southern Europe.

Wojtek