[lbo-talk] Steve Jobs responds to Google Chrome OS

Matthias Wasser matthias.wasser at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 19:10:38 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Wojtek Sokolowski <swsokolowski at yahoo.com>wrote:

> --- On Thu, 7/9/09, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
>

> > Just as those who call the Democrats weak or opportunist or
> > incompetent
> > are really saying the DP has the good of humanity at heart
> > but just
> > doesn't have the brains and courage to carry out the
> > policies that deep
> > in their hearts they really believe in.
> >

> [WS:] Who is doing this? I've been on list nearly from its inception and
> AFICT, there is a near consensus among its members that both political
> parties are owned and operated by big business and thus represent interests
> of business community as well as those of their own (at heart and otherwise)
> - and that DP is only slightly more sympathetic (or perhaps less
> unsympathetic) to working class interests than the repugs.
>
> So where did you get the idea of Democrats having the good humanity at
> heart? I am all ears.
>
> Wojtek

The point is merely (and explicitely) that the language supports and reinforces this assumption, not that anyone on the list actually avers it. An avowed feminist can still fall into using sexist language, et cetera. At least the Americans among us come from a background where political discourse phrases disapproval with the US government as that government not living up to its authentic responsibilities.