[lbo-talk] Roma history

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 11 04:44:50 PDT 2009

Lenin was Chuvash, Swedish, German, and I believe Kalmyk. I don't think he had any Russian blood. IIRC there was some issue surrounding the marriage of his grandparents because his German grandmother was a Lutheran and so could not legally marry an Orthodox Christian, so had to convert (the Jewish side having converted to Orthodoxy in the past), but held onto the Lutheran faith secretly or somnething like that. Look at his face -- he has the whole Kalmyk facial structure thing going on.

It's sort-of ironic since the Kalmyks were by and large adamantly anti-Bolshevik. They were imported into Europe from around China to serve as a Gurkha-like military ethnos, being attached to the Don Cossack host (Buddhist Cossacks!). So they tended to fight on the White side in the Civil War, and then were deported from Kalmykia by Stalin in WWII along with the Volga Germans, Chechens, Ingush, Crimean Tatars, and so forth, returning under Khrushchev. I actually have a collection of essays by Kalmyk schoolchildren on the subject of "what the deportation meant for my family."