[lbo-talk] More on Kenneally

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Sat Jul 11 16:31:19 PDT 2009

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 19:08:04 -0400 ravi <ravi at platosbeard.org> wrote:

> And yet you do not know how to spell "Chomsky"! ;-)

CG may have confused the MIT linguist with the punningly- named Columbia chimp, Nim Chimpsky, who was raised in a human family (at what cost to family life I can only try to imagine). Nim learned a hundred or so ASL signs, but apparently combined them in a somewhat random Joycean way.

I think I remember seeing Nim on the #1 train, back in the day, reading the New York Review of Books and absent-mindedly scratching his armpit.

Or perhaps it was Norman Podhoretz.

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org