[lbo-talk] More on Kenneally

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Sat Jul 11 16:48:13 PDT 2009

On Jul 11, 2009, at 7:31 PM, Michael Smith wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 19:08:04 -0400
> ravi <ravi at platosbeard.org> wrote:
>
>> And yet you do not know how to spell "Chomsky"! ;-)
>
> CG may have confused the MIT linguist with the punningly-
> named Columbia chimp, Nim Chimpsky, who was raised in a
> human family (at what cost to family life I can only try
> to imagine). Nim learned a hundred or so ASL signs,
> but apparently combined them in a somewhat random
> Joycean way.

I believe the primate did introduce some level of discord into matrimonial harmony. Wikipedia can probably point you to my source, if you are interested.

> I think I remember seeing Nim on the #1 train, back
> in the day, reading the New York Review of Books and
> absent-mindedly scratching his armpit.
>
> Or perhaps it was Norman Podhoretz.

Please, lets not mix up primates and reptiles. Unless you are speaking of young Mr. Doss. <-- you need to be on Facebook to get my lame pun.

--ravi