[lbo-talk] job opp't'y

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jul 13 09:00:41 PDT 2009

[A fine group. More details at link.]

<http://q4ej.org/jobs> EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

Queers for Economic Justice 16 W. 32nd St., Suite 10H New York, NY 10001

www.q4ej.org

Position Title: Executive Director, Queers for Economic Justice

Resumes due: July 31, 2009

Terms: This position is full-time.

Salary: $65,000 POSITION SUMMARY

Queers for Economic Justice seeks an experienced, creative, collaborative, mature, visionary, progressive leader to fill the position of Executive Director.

Queers for Economic Justice (QEJ) is a progressive non-profit organization committed to promoting economic justice in a context of sexual and gender liberation. Our goal is to challenge and change the systems that create poverty and economic injustice in our communities, and to promote an economic system that embraces sexual and gender diversity. We are committed to the principle that access to social and economic resources is a fundamental right, and we work to create social and economic equity through grassroots organizing, public education, advocacy and research. We do this work because although poor queers have always been a part of both the gay rights and economic justice movements, they have been, and continue to be, largely invisible in both movements. This work will always be informed by the lived experiences and expressed needs of queer people in poverty.

Queers for Economic Justice is supported by a multi-racial, multi- classed, multi-cultural group of people of diverse marginalized sexual and gender identities, as well as diverse ages, educational levels, backgrounds and abilities. The organization has a staff of five, and a budget of $500,000. QEJ's work is well known and respected throughout the United States. The organization primarily works in the five boroughs of New York City and has recently launched its national project, "Building a Queer Left." QEJ also have a track record doing national advocacy work conversations around immigrant rights, and our "Beyond Marriage Project." QEJ's current local programs are in the areas of shelter and welfare organizing. In addition, QEJ is also focused on building a national coalition of local grassroots progressive LGBTQ organizations who make economic and racial justice central to their work.

The Executive Director (E.D.) provides vision and leadership for the organization's growth and development in working closely with its Board of Directors, staff and community stakeholders (including but not limited to consultants, former Board members, volunteers and LGBTQ low-income stakeholders) ensuring that projects (short and long term) fulfill the mission and vision of the organization. The E.D. is also responsible for ensuring fiscal viability for current and future programs as well as increasing the visibility of QEJ both locally and nationally. The E.D. works closely with the Board of Directors and development staff/consultants to develop and implement fundraising strategies to sustain the annual budget. In addition, the E.D. reports to the Board of Directors on the fiscal and programmatic status of the organization.