[lbo-talk] More on Kenneally

mart media314159 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 13 10:36:57 PDT 2009

i think i read the pinker and bloom article(s). their main point seemed to be there were actually 2 language learning systems, which was a way to solve or get around the empiricist/innatist debate (like the selfish./altruistic debate). it turned out, surprisingly, that both systems exist (just as it turned out people surprisingly are both selfish and altuistic (cept me, and mother teresa who are saints, and take what we call donations or spiritual protection money). some things are inate and others learned!!! i think they showed this by discovering that children learning language make some errors, but not others. hence they were programmable, eg to become lbo subscribers.

i actually don't kbnow how this relates to evolution, but i think the idea is the innate system was more of a relic, while newer stuff shows the cognitive apparatus evolves. it wasn't a study however of dna change or morphology change.

i imagine in 10 minutes you can google to find out. there's a ton of this stuff on the web. i wonder if that is important, or whether instead dissing kennealy is where its at. i personally find pinker pretty appaling. but he fits well at MIT keeping the rock of solidarity of ideology with a smooth face. the fact that kenneally apparently devotes a chapter to him (and he is hc evo psych) is a bad sign; though she has exact opposities in their too (eg lieberman who is pretty hc anti-chomksyian). (i just read the amazon review---its all you really need these days, to be an expert---i actually have a university where you can pay and we'll give you a rigorous phD in amazon reviews---any field. ). also, apparently she leaves out alot better stuff though any book is finite.

www.axiomsandchoices.blogspot.com