[lbo-talk] Abolition as self-help

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 09:23:49 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 1:43 AM, mart<media314159 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> some thought pro-slavery arguments weren't pc? oh my gawd. if they weren;t pc, then maybe they deserve the fate or larry summers.
>
> if i recall fogel and north, one of whom one a noble econ laureate, pointed out slaves actually had it pretty good, with respect to the non slave owning white class of the time (mostly moonshiners and nascar drivers, i assume) in terms of growing thier own food, saturday night parties etc .   i did suspect this was written to counter reperations arguments of the time, which are still somewhat popular.

Pretty much bullshit too. There was an old joke that was contemporary at the time of slavery. A slave runs, away is caught. The slave catcher says: "you know Jim, you had a pretty good master, enough food, a place to live, Saturday nights off. Why would run away?" And Jim replies: "You know, if you want it, my job's still open."