[lbo-talk] Russian/Chechen/Ingush

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Jul 16 18:02:38 PDT 2009

Estemirova murder: Kadyrov blamed

Human rights campaigner Natalia Estemirova was investigating

militiamen backed by President Kadyrov when she was dragged

from her home and shot dead

BY JACK BREMERFIRST POSTED JULY 16, 2009

The 32-year-old strongman who runs Chechnya, President Ramzan Kadyrov, claimed "I don't kill women" when he was implicated in the 2006 murder of the Russian investigative journalist Anna Politkovskaya. No one in the field of human rights believed him, and today he is again the obvious suspect according to campaigners mourning the death of Politkovskaya's friend Natalia Estemirova.

Oleg Orlov, chairman of Memorial, the Russian human rights group for whom Estemirova worked in the Chechen capital Grozny, documenting abuses by law enforcement agencies, said yesterday: "I know, I am sure of it, who is guilty for the murder of Natalia... His name is Ramzan Kadyrov."

In a statement posted on Memorial's website, www.memo.ru, he claimed: "Ramzan already threatened Natalia, insulted her, considered her a personal enemy."

The nature of the 50-year-old's death was brutal and unsubtle. She was dragged from her home in Grozny on Wednesday morning by four men, shouting to neighbours: "I'm being kidnapped", bundled into a van and driven off.

Hours later, her body was found dumped on the main road near the village of Gazi-Yurt in neighbouring Ingushetia. She had been shot twice in the head.

Estemirova, who leaves a 15-year-old daughter, was a close friend of Politkovskaya, collaborating with the journalist on several investigations into human rights abuses in Chechnya. Both were very open in their condemnation of President Kadyrov...

Full article at

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/50728,news,human-rights-campaigner-natalia- estemirova-murder-fingers-point-at-president-ramzan-kadyrov