[lbo-talk] More on Kenneally

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 11:27:57 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 4:54 PM, Chuck Grimes<cgrimes at rawbw.com> wrote:

> How lame and petty. Chris Doss
>
> -----------
>
> Teaching ASL to primates is offensive or can be seen as offensive,
> because there was a great resistance from the hearing world in
> accepting ASL as a language. The status of ASL is central to a whole
> political struggle for equal justice, civil rights, political and
> economic equality, etc.

Part of that was ASL's being suppressed outright, particularly in schools. So add the resentment of your native language being banned (and the usual pedagogical effects), and add the fact that you can't physically work well in the language you're supposed to adopt.

I agree that it's a neat idea, but I can see why signers would uncomfortable with it.

-- Andy