[lbo-talk] Triple Your Lizard

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Sat Jul 18 14:26:37 PDT 2009

On Fri, July 17, 2009 8:04 pm, Chris Doss wrote:

> Where do you get this from? Fascism didn't use slave labor AFAIK. Nazism
> did, but I don't think it played a huge role in the economy. When did
> Italy or Spain try to cheapen raw materials imports?

Coerced labor was key to the German war machine after 1941. In re Italy: ask Ethiopia or Libya about this. Francoist Spain didn't have the power to engage in colonial adventures, thankfully.

But there's a real sense in which the madness of Fascism did have a weirdly capitalist logic behind it: smash unions, depress real wages, pump up the military sector and plunder neighbors for their oil (Germany had none on its own soil), wheat and labor. Which is also why the Axis powers were doomed -- no way it could compete against the combined resources of the UK, US and USSR.

-- DRR