[lbo-talk] Triple Your Lizard

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Jul 20 18:36:44 PDT 2009

i tried understanding the point of this thread.

basically, i guess the argument is that it is better to be rilly rilly diverse, with lots of different languages and cultures and it is BAAAAAAD to have only one or two languages and a couple of cultural-types.

good to live in a big city like Paris, where people speak all kinds of languages.

bad to live in any kind of big city in the u.s., where people only ever speak the official language, English.

This badness / goodness is caused by waht, I'm not sure.

or maybe it just is, embedded in, intrinsic to, the very essence that is the u.s., whereas every other culture/nation has something special about it at core, it's probably intrinsic to its cultural goodness -- china, india, europe, japan, brazil, canada, australia, the UK -- they are all, because they are not the u.s., HUGELY diverse.

why? well, we don't know. it just is. probably something to do with the icky awfulness that it is to be america and americans.

booo hiss. america bad. culture bad. people bad. language bad. it's all bad.

awesome. i'm going to move to the culturally diverse australia now. where they speak 35 different languages and you can surely tell sydney from melbourne from canberra in a heartbeat. cultures are totally different and diverse. whee. yay.

shag