[lbo-talk] Triple Your Lizard

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Mon Jul 20 19:33:37 PDT 2009

I agree with you on the confusion. Chris is saying something that shouldn't be really surprising if you really thought about it (nor is it something that is terribly interesting... sorry Chris) The United States has a more homogeneous culture than a recently formed confederation of nation states as well as a subcontinent that was a labyrinth of different forms of government (India) until 1949, and a former empire that only got a strong central government around the same time. (More can be said about the question of dealing with former imperial forms, and this no doubt links up to the Russian Federation as well) The U.S. has had a strong national state form (with strong ideological state apparatuses) for well over a century. Which makes the comparison not all that useful. For more on this, I strongly recommend Ben Anderson's Imagined Communities, which is a book that I find more and more useful as I read more.

robert wood

P.S. I'm thinking about going with the wolf option....