[lbo-talk] Triple Your Lizard

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Tue Jul 21 10:11:11 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 12:59:40PM -0400, ravi wrote:

> I am afraid the fact that you have to point all the way to the outer
> reaches/colonies of the country -- Puerto Rico, Wasilla and Maui --
> pretty much makes Chris' point!

If the geographic edges are also the cultural edges, then is the geographic center of the USA also its cultural center? How appropriate is your geographic metaphor, anyway?

Re: Puerto Rico - I was discussing how the very large Puerto Rican population here in the Amish heartland, who are all USAers, makes *me* identify more with the territory of P.R. than I do with other parts of the USA.

I do agree with Chris that other than the things that are different, things are the same. There is an infinite list of generalizations which can be said prefaced with "other than...". Hopefully we don't need this much discussion to work all of them out.

Matt

-- GnuPG Key ID: 0xC33BD882 aim: beyondzero123 yahoo msg: beyondzero123

We cannot separate the air that chokes from the air upon which wings beat.

-John Perry Barlow