[lbo-talk] Triple Your Lizard

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Jul 21 17:10:21 PDT 2009

At 01:11 PM 7/21/2009, Matt wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 12:59:40PM -0400, ravi wrote:
>
> > I am afraid the fact that you have to point all the way to the outer
> > reaches/colonies of the country -- Puerto Rico, Wasilla and Maui --
> > pretty much makes Chris' point!
>
>If the geographic edges are also the cultural edges, then is the
>geographic center of the USA also its cultural center? How
>appropriate is your geographic metaphor, anyway?
>
>Re: Puerto Rico - I was discussing how the very large Puerto Rican
>population here in the Amish heartland, who are all USAers, makes
>*me* identify more with the territory of P.R. than I do with other
>parts of the USA.
>
>I do agree with Chris that other than the things that are different,
>things are the same. There is an infinite list of generalizations
>which can be said prefaced with "other than...". Hopefully we don't
>need this much discussion to work all of them out.

yeah, i guess my question was: who cares?

is it hurting something? are we damaged people because of it? if so, then presumably we'd want to fix the problem, so then we'd have to find out what causes it. as Alan and Robert both mentioned, the homogenizing factors behind this are the twin phenom of capitalism and nationalism. the rise of those two phenom several centuries ago has had a huge influence on the homogenization.

As Robert mentioned, there's Anderson's thesis in _Imagined Communities_: a nationalizing rhetoric that "imagined" the nation state as a community was the instrument-effect of capitlism, and it united a disparate feudal society around a homogenized/izing identity: _We_ are French. _We_ are German. _We_ are Australians. And of course the u.s. case was amplified by the genocide/assimilationist tactics waged against Native Americans, by slavery, and the nationalizing impulses deemed necessary to manage a huge population migration during the late 1800s into the early 1900s. All of that accompanied by the rise of mass communication technologies and advertising (itself the result of capitalist crises) that furthered along the homogenization attendant in capitalism and nation state building.

And then we had two world wars, where the nationalizing rhetoric had yet another platform upon which to play itself out.

It's not comparing apples and oranges; it's comparing apples and spark plugs. ($1 to Peter Schledorn).

I suppose I could trot out anecdotage, but that's just accepting Dossbomber's decision that comparing apples and spark plugs is actually a scintillating exercise.

shag