[lbo-talk] Triple Your Lizard

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Wed Jul 22 08:56:53 PDT 2009

On Jul 22, 2009, at 10:00 AM, Chris Doss wrote:
> I mentioned India specifically because it seems to be as regionally
> heterogeneous as it is possible to be and still be the same country
> (and not be the Ottoman Empire). It's like the anti-US. :)

In the sense in which you were speaking of it, I think that's quite true.

> Even Hindi is spoken by less than half the population.

Probably half the population or more, if you count "passable".

> BTW is use of English as an official language still controversial
> among Hindi-speakers?

I am not sure that was as big an issue as the use of Hindi as the national language is/was to non-Hindi speakers. Back in Tamil Nadu central government buildings were set on fire (hard to do with concrete buildings, but still!) when Hindi signboards were added to them.

--ravi