[lbo-talk] exploitation of pro-athletes was Re: Hamid Dabashi onIran

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu Jul 23 07:17:26 PDT 2009

On Jun 20, 2009, at 7:29 AM, Michael McIntyre wrote:
> JP minus the overt commitment and the actual activism? That would
> mean . .
> . some full-blooded version of panchayati raj and village collective
> enterprises (not the watery versions currently on offer) plus . . . ?

I wrote that poorly. I didn't mean that I wanted [to emulate] a version of JP minus the commitment/activism. Rather, I was saying that my own [mental] political development has mirrored (unsurprisingly -- my father was a great JP follower) that of JP, except of course he was committed and active, whereas I just post to mailing lists.

--ravi

> I always admired JP as a political figure, and once had more
> sympathy with his
> more speculative programmatic side than I do today. Where do you go
> with
> this?

Nowhere, I am afraid.

> MM
>
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 9:19 PM, ravi <ravi at platosbeard.org> wrote:
>>
>> I am not sure I would ever turn Marxist (I think my trajectory is
>> quite
>> similar to JP Narayan minus the overt commitment -- and the actual
>> activism!), but I do think, despite his recent nonsense about
>> Gandhi/India,
>> Carrol would be a pretty sweet chap ... in person. ;-)

-- Anyone who takes an effort to intellectually challenge the status quo and established habits is infinitely more venerable than hacks defending that status quo and established habits, regardless of the truth function of their propositions. -- W.Sokolowski