[lbo-talk] Blue Dogs cashing in

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jul 23 16:45:53 PDT 2009

Marv Gandall wrote:
> The point is that the roots of "opportunism" and "betrayal" are
> institutional, not moral. Only a political innocent would see today's
> liberal leaders of mass organizations as simply "pricks" enthusiastically
> serving the ruling class who consciously started out with that in mind.

Marv, I do not know who you are responding to here, but you certainly are not addressing any position I hold. It seems that my position is so inconceivable to Progressives that ehy simply rethink it for me in more conventional form. Let me try to be clear on what I believe. I am not arguing the points here, I ams simply stating them for clarity.

By "Democratic Party I mean the leadership - for the most part from the top down to precinct captains and county chairmen. I do not mean those who vote for it, though many of them support the real DP and not the DP fantasized by Progressives.

The Democratic Party is NOT opportunist.

The Democratic Party is NOT a "sell-out."

The Democratic Party is NOT stupid.

The Democratic Party is NOT craven.

The Democratic Party is NOT is not venal.

The Democratic Party does NOT for the most part lie. Obama is carrying out all his campaign promises, including a complete destruction of the single-payer movement and a ravaging of much of Pakistan. He is as he has promised over and over again supporting all the policies established by all the Presidents, including Bush, of the last 70 years or more.

The Democratic Party is principled, honest as parties go, courageous, dedicated, politically sophisticated, and intelligent. It devotes all these virtues to the strength of U.S. capital and to the suppression around the world of all attempts to delink from the global capitalist system knowns as neoliberalism.

I do not accuse the Democratic Party of being immoral. Nor do I accuse its supporters of being immoral. I simply recognize that the DP is the dedicated defender of what is a threat to the continues existence, as we know it, of humanity, capitalism. The DP believes that capitalism is the best for humanity. Hence it defends the enemy of huanity in good faith.

Carrol