[lbo-talk] Blue Dogs cashing in

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Fri Jul 24 04:56:00 PDT 2009

Carrol writes:

> Marv, I do not know who you are responding to here, but you certainly
> are not addressing any position I hold...

> The Democratic Party is NOT opportunist...NOT a "sell-out"...NOT
> stupid...NOT craven...not venal...does NOT for the most part lie. Obama is
> carrying
> out all his campaign promises...supporting all the policies established
> by all the Presidents, including Bush, of the last 70 years or more.

> I do not accuse the Democratic Party of being immoral. Nor do I accuse
> its supporters of being immoral. I simply recognize that the DP is the
> dedicated defender of what is a threat to the continues existence, as
> we know it, of humanity, capitalism. The DP believes that capitalism is
> the best for humanity. Hence it defends the enemy of huanity in good
> faith.
=========================================== This is not the first time we are having this discussion, Carrol. Your views about the Democrats are well known, and not as dispassionate as you make them out to be. Your disclaimers that you don't see the Democrats in the same way as do it's other left-wing critics - ie. as opportunists and sellouts - is belied by the attention you pay to the party and the manner in which you consistently portray it.

You don't see any difference between Bush and Obama. I do. For starters, Bush would never refer to "non-believers" in an inaugural address as a legitimate part of American society nor would he criticize racial profiling. They come from and represent different and conflicting constituencies.

The Democrats draw their support from organizations representing workers, blacks, Hispanics, women, environmentalists, gays, civil libertarians, antiwar activists, etc. They defend these groups and advance their liberal demands in government, the bureaucracy, the courts, and the media - for the most part haltingly, in a society contaminated by a legacy of racism and national chauvinism of which they are a part. The Republicans, based on business, religious, and other conservative organizations are hostile to the groups which I support and would destroy them.

You think these differences are inconsequential because both parties are pro-capitalist and pro-imperialist. This is broadly true, but ignores that there are disagreements between the parties about the administration of the system and the empire which which matter to the poor and powerless at home and abroad.

Until the most politically advanced sectors of the US working class choose another vehicle to defend their interests, these disagreements should matter to us also.