[lbo-talk] Beyond Obama

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Fri Jul 24 20:55:32 PDT 2009

On Fri, July 24, 2009 5:12 pm, Julio Huato wrote:

> Okay. And then? It's a serious question: What's next in your view?

I can't speak for Dwayne, but if we're talking specific strategies for the US, here's my own short-list:

1. Decolonization starts at home. Teach the history of the US Empire, why it emerged, why it failed (lots of helpful Soviet parallels here), and most importantly, the long and glorious history of anti-Imperial resistance movements.

2. Learn from the semi-periphery. Engage with its authors, writers, thinkers, mass media. When you look closely, the US has an overdeveloped veneer of shiny, expensive Imperial politics, but its actual social structures are those of a heavily capitalized semi-periphery. (A kind of credit card corporatism, as it were... only now the credit cards are being taken away for good.)

3. Keep fighting the local and especially state-level battles. Don't even bother bemoaning the military-industrial sins of the Federal superstate -- its wars are failures, and every day, it gets deeper on the hook to foreign creditors. More importantly, Asiazilla, Bolivarzilla and Bearzilla will make sure there is no return to the unipolar world. But the US states are the size of entire countries, and have quite a bit of power.

-- DRR