[lbo-talk] Black scholar arrest angers Obama

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 09:00:56 PDT 2009

Incidentally there was a legal basis for the arrest, one that shows deliberation on the part of the cop. Shouting at a cop in your home is legal. But shouting at a cop on your porch if there are people watching can legally be disorderly conduct, cause watching a sixty something short black man with a bad leg might frighten the people watching don't ya know. So when the cop told Gates "I'm leaving not, if you want my badge number follow me " he was deliberately luring Gates out of his house to his porch where he would have an excuse to arrest Gates. At the point where he told Gates to follow him he was already planning the arrest.