[lbo-talk] Blue Dogs cashing in

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 25 18:35:04 PDT 2009

Christopher E. Doss Moscow, Russian Federation

"Morality" simply means the belief that some actions (usually interpersonal ones) are bad, and some actions are good. "Moral beliefs" are the beliefs that some actions are bad, and some actions are good. For instance, telling the truth is good. Lying is bad. Helping the poor is good. Herding people into death camps is bad. Going to the grocery store for my aging grandmother because she is too weak to go on her own is good. Suffocating her with a pillow because I want to get her inheritance is bad.

These beliefs exist, and they motivate people (whether Carrol likes it or not). The origin of these beliefs is a completely different issue. They are real. Are they historically and culturally contingent? Of course. All beliefs are. So what?