[lbo-talk] Blue Dogs cashing in

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Sat Jul 25 19:02:36 PDT 2009

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 17:16:03 -0400 (EDT) Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> wrote:

> If the choice were really between Kantian moral philosophy and nothing,
> I'd probably choose nothing too.

I'm not sure who's chosen "nothing". The conversation seems a little confused, largely (I suspect) because those of us who are vigorous about rejecting the Kantian approach have thereby somehow given the impression that we're heartless nihilists.

> But that's got nothing to do with the
> debate on this list.

What exactly would you say that debate is? This is not a rhetorical question: I'm not really sure what the "pro" side is claiming, though I think I understand us cons. Doug, for example, has been a vigorous advocate of morality but I just read a post from him that articulated a rather congenial (to me) natural-history account of morality: it's the thing that we humans feel in a certain corner of our viscera.

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org