[lbo-talk] Review of Badiou's Number and Numbers

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 16:29:30 PDT 2009

ok, i follow this, more or less, but i am not at all prepared to present what i think badiou's response would be. i think, chuck, your best bet is to hunker down and go through the two big books. i will say, however, two things, in response to you and to ravi.

first, i think we need to be very careful in labeling badiou (and that would be roughly bah-dyoo, ravi) platonist. i understand the logic, but he is not really talking about forms and their instantiation. and this is where i think his approach from set theory is *not* the same as a sort of pythagoro-platonic mathematics (which, btw, it should also be noted was already central to the [so-called] scientific revolution -- think newton and calculus, kepler, just for the most patent examples, but in the scholarship of history of science as i understand it, the scientific revolution these days is understood to be fundamentally tied to a revival of mathematics). indeed, i think he is trying to avoid that, as he considers himself to putting together a thoroughly materialist ontology. i think this understanding of "ontology is mathematics" is at the heart of chuck's critique (if that's the right word), as well.

the best way to get clear on this (even if the result is to mount a more effective critique) is to work through badiou himself. this is of course so true of everything as to be almost banal to say, but i think given the broad ignorance (not meaning this in a pejorative sense, as i largely share it) of badiou and his philosophy, we just cannot rely on book reviews and explanations or arguments from or with each other for clarity. not without more of us being more familiar with badiou -- sympathetic or otherwise.

second . . . ok, i did this wrong and have already forgotten what two was supposed to be. sorry. :)

i could try to say something about badiou's approach to infinity and multiplicity, which i like quite a bit, but i am not entirely confident of my grasp on it, just yet, and i don't want to make things worse by muddying the waters.