[lbo-talk] reading badiou -- worth it? (was: Review of Badiou's Number)

mart media314159 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 28 05:33:24 PDT 2009

i dont actually have any hard data here, but it seems a reasonable first hypothesis that everyone, including you, admire me. so what do i think? i suggest reading the review of this book in the notre dame philosophical reviews (though i usually am not a fan of that)---by some named whose name begins with a k. he's got my posiotion. the web site crooked timber from march 2006 also has a discussion of whether or not bourdie is worth reading, or bs, or 'french philosophy' (eg sartre's being or nothingness, or derrida/lacan/delueuze...) in which case i don't know what to make of it. it looks like poetry to me (i thought bourdieu was much better, and faoucault had some insights which i only got by reaDING WHAT others thought of him).

one person there (out of 149 comments) says bopurdieu manages to alienate both the deconstructionist/pomo types (because he uses set theory) and also the hardcore rationalists/realists (like sokal) because he may not know what he is talking about and also connects these ideas to stuff outside the field of logic, wjhere it doesn't apply . its fronting or posing.

(i dont want to be like sokal and 100% dis it, because some like mach did contribute to what i understand; spinoza and leibniz similarily were earlier but in a sense also contributed to the 'modern world view', as did hegel. i view philosophy as poetry---its hard to assign it a cash value, whereas one can say darwin is more or less measured by the NIH budget size, which wins hand down.)