[lbo-talk] reading badiou -- worth it? (was: Review of Badiou's Number)

mart media314159 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 28 05:41:12 PDT 2009

i glanced at that review. maybe boudiou does believe in 'drect action' as opposed to 'parliamentarianism'. but as people like sokal or others in scien might criticize his basing his philosophy on set theory, the idea that someone who is a professional philosopher and in a very esoteric 'french' (eg derrida) style --- actually believes in 'direct action' may just be 'fronting' or 'posing'. Unless by direct action one means things like tenured radicalism, academic conferences, etc. (I actually dont have a problem with such a definition----sortuh like 'fuck anarchy, do what you want'.)

i do think there is much better, non-derivative stuff, less pretentuious, and much clearer stuff to read (some of it by the people boudieu refers to). (the same might go for deleuze and such, and likely derrida). but the other stuff is less trendy (and not in the art school). also, you may not really come to any different conclusions if you even get any.

anyway, i do feel basically discussion of this stuff is pretty much foreign or hostile territory. (perhaps people like frege or cassirer or even wittgenstein are the demilitarized zone, but why bother.)