[lbo-talk] reading badiou -- worth it? (was: Review of Badiou's Number)

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 08:54:05 PDT 2009

in short, i'm with dwayne (caveat emptor: my heart belongs to derrida). but i started into badiou with _infinite thought_, a collection of essays. i am going to mention this in a reply to ravi in the other thread, but the intro there was very helpful, as is much of peter hallward's work on badiou (i've not read the books -- except the one on deleuze i am partway through -- but the articles). also, don't disagree with a lot of what eric says. i would say, having not yet got through either EE or LM (which happens to be sitting right next to me, right now), that i find his understanding of truth, knowledge, situation, fidelity, the relation of one to multiple, and forcing relative to the infinite very appealing. i will say something (although probably not much) about forcing and the infinite in the other thread, but that is what really caught my eye, and it is probably why i am sticking with him, at least for now.

on the parliamentary and direct action, it's a little tricky. i think i linked hallward's analysis of the OP as part of badiou's overall philosophy? he addresses this issue, er, directly.