[lbo-talk] Being and Event: the Deep, Penetrating Massage Review, Coming Soon!

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 18:01:13 PDT 2009

What an evening!

Visiting an ill relative, exchanging out the low profile tires on the car, reading a bedtime story to that demanding little girl (within every toddler beats the heart of Nero) and watching a bit of a romcom with my wife.

But now I'm back online.

What did I miss?

Eric Beck wrote:

I'm not sure whether to be insulted by this or not.

and:

Yeah, [pasting passages from _Being and Event_ will] clear everything up. Because the meanings of words and phrases and concepts are always self-evident. No need or room for interpretation. No reading required!

and finally;

Are criticism and explication the same as "disdain and political infighting"?

Moments later, Ravi posted:

I not only posted links and content from reviews that included quotes from Badiou but also provided a link to an online *free* version of Number and Numbers.

Quite a pile on.

Now Eric, don't be insulted. That intro was just a bit of the old ultra hype for comedic effect. Note that I also claimed people held revolvers fashioned from states of mind. I'm pretty sure no such weapon yet exists (but it would be deliciously Gibsonian innovation). Just a spot of fun with language.

As for the pasting and the reading and the thing and thing...

Of course, I'll be reading (or actually, re-reading). When I said I'd be pasting passages to the list I didn't mean the whole exercise would consist of me plopping a book on the scanner, forwarding OCR'ed text and calling it a day. I meant that I would follow the example of shag and Chuck Grimes. These two list venerables have conducted public readings, moving through a book over days or weeks and sharing their impressions with us; along with, well, lengthy passages.

And Ravi, you're right: you (and Eric) did indeed post based upon Badiou's actual words. So on the one hand, I apologize.

But on the other hand, war!

<http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/index.jsp?cid=115978>

Next Wednesday will be the first _Being and Event_ day. Pour a glass of your rudest beverage and join the fun!

.d.