[lbo-talk] Being and Event: the Deep, Penetrating Massage Review, Coming Soon!

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Tue Jul 28 19:31:52 PDT 2009

On Jul 28, 2009, at 9:49 PM, Chuck Grimes wrote:
> There were twin developments in German mathematics that vastly
> condensed and systemized mathematical education proper. One theme of
> those developments followed the Geometry line. The other followed the
> Number line. In the former we have starting with Riemann, followed
> Felix Klein and his use and development of group theory and the
> re-axiomization of geometry which superceeded the controversy over the
> parallel postulate. The other or number line starts again with
> Riemann, then follows, Cantor, et al and sets. This line sort of has
> multiple branches that creat the `morass' of analysis. (There is also
> Riemann himself to look at, study, think about and how he generated
> such numerous and giant spawn: Cantor, Klein, Hilbert, Einstein in the
> next generation. Mostly his contributions go to what I think of as the
> join of number and space into analysis and physics, while the
> number-space line goes the re-organization of algebra, via the same
> core concepts used in sets and groups.

Er, don't forget Poincaré, Weyl and the intuitionists.

A marginally related but amusing paper:

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/gurevich/Opera/123.pdf

--ravi

-- Anyone who takes an effort to intellectually challenge the status quo and established habits is infinitely more venerable than hacks defending that status quo and established habits, regardless of the truth function of their propositions. -- W.Sokolowski