[lbo-talk] Black scholar arrest angers Obama

Left-Wing Wacko leftwingwacko at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 18:01:55 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> wrote:

> I think this who sub-thread on cops is funny, especially stuff like this:
>
> What we should demand from police officers is that they behave
>> professionally in all situations, even if it means taking a little
>> disrespect from a black man, and contain their white supremacist
>> authoritarian egos.
>>

> All I can say is: you first.
>
> "Taking a little disrespect from a black man" is something a cop does all
> day long, every day, except it's not just "a little" and it's not just "a
> black man" -- it's a lot; and it's from white women, brown teenagers, yellow
> couples, etc. ...
>
> What most people think is "just a little disrespect" to a cop is usually
> far more than they'd ever take themselves from anyone in their own job, let
> alone from a family member or a friend. Gates would probably never treat a
> shopkeeper, a house painter, or a car salesman like he probably treated that
> cop.
>
> Since no one else is, I think it's hilarious to assert that cops be
> perfect.
>
> /jordan

Jordan, So what is your point? Were you there to see exactly how Gates treated the cop? Were you there to see what provoked Gates into behaving this way?

Maybe Gates was being a total pompous rude asshole? Or maybe he wasn't?

We don't know.

What we do know is that Gates provided the officer identification that established his residency in the house. Gates requested identification from the officer, and he didn't comply. (In most localities the police are required by law to provide that information). The officer then requested that Gates step out of the house in a ploy to arrest him. For what?

Evidently nothing, as no charges were filed.

Are you arguing we that we simply accept that the police can arrest people because they are annoyed at their behavior? Great, then you go live in that police state.

Nobody is asserting "that cops be perfect". I, and I assume others do believe that we should demand that cops not abuse their authority to detain and take people into custody only because they are disrespected. If you have a problem with that, then make an argument against it.

Sheldon

-- http://left-wingwacko.blogspot.com/