[lbo-talk] Black scholar arrest angers Obama

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Fri Jul 31 18:18:37 PDT 2009

L.W. Wacko writes:

>> All I can say is: you first.
>
> So what is your point?

That it's unrealistic to "demand from police officers [...] that they behave professionally in all situations" (your words, your demand), because no one who demands such a thing "behaves professionally" with cops. Every "professional" interaction includes different behaviors: contrast your lawyer, with whom you might share your most secret secrets; and your doctor, for whom you might drop your pants at the mere suggestion.

> What we do know is ...

Well, we don't even know that. Do we? History, however, suggests that Mr. Gates' interaction with the cop was, uh, less than the "professionality" that you demand.

> Are you arguing we that we simply accept that the police can
> arrest people because they are annoyed at their behavior?

Mr. Wacko, please meet Mr. Strawman.

> Nobody is asserting "that cops be perfect".

If a demand to be professional in all situations isn't perfection, you've lost me.

/jordan