[lbo-talk] Black scholar arrest angers Obama

Left-Wing Wacko leftwingwacko at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 20:48:24 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 7:40 PM, Michael Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 18:18:37 -0700
> "Jordan Hayes" <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> wrote:
>
> > If a demand to be professional in all situations isn't perfection,
> > you've lost me.
>
> This trope of "professionalism" is a little unsavory. And

what is "professionalism" for a cop, if not to be a bullying
> prick?

Point taken. However, I used to be a teacher in a pretty tough inner-city school. And occasionally I was on the receiving end of some pretty rough back talk and disrespect. To deal with this behavior I had recourse to various actions. However, to be professional required that I not punch some kid in the mouth for his back talk regardless of how much he or she pissed me off . Obviously, teachers are expected to stay within those professional boundaries in nearly all situations. And this is how I think we should expect cops "to be professional". Whether its a Harvard professor or some kid on the block.

However, if we disregard these semantic problems and accept
> arguendo that the Cambridge cop's behavior was "unprofessional",
> where "professional" means some notion of ours about how cops
> should behave, the question becomes: is it reasonable to ask
> people to be "professional" when they're on the job and sucking
> the public teat? Offissa Pupp was on the job; Gates wasn't.

> Heavens. To think that I've found myself in the position of
> defending, however faintly, a Harvard professor. In fact of course
> it would be nothing but poetic justice if the Cambridge cops were
> to frog-march the entire Harvard professiorate off to some
> undisclosed secure location.

And is Harvard prof. Gates really the issue? Not for me. His case is just the conversation piece for the broader issue of police abuse of their authority.

Sheldon

-- http://left-wingwacko.blogspot.com/