[lbo-talk] State capitalism, or the real thing

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Tue Jun 2 12:57:36 PDT 2009

On Jun 2, 2009, at 3:17 PM, Chris Doss wrote:
> What do they have in common?
> But
> if one wants to call the modern US economy capitalist then I think
> calling
>>
>> the Soviet economy capitalist or state capitalist or
>> whatever is legitimate since both economies have a
>> significant amount in common.

Social systems based on alienated wage labor exploited for the benefit of a privileged ruling class. Ineffective state management of the over-all economy. Massive financial corruption as a method of private appropriation. Military-industrial complex as principal economic sector. Environmental destruction as source of "economic growth."

The first defines capitalism as such. The others are peculiar to both the US and Stalinist varieties of capitalism.

Shane Mage