[lbo-talk] Baucus to Meet with Single-Payer Advocates

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Jun 2 22:23:03 PDT 2009

[FWIW]

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/article/20090602/NEWS01/906020310/Baucus+to+meet+with+single-payer+advocates

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Great Falls Tribune (Montana)

Baucus to Meet with Single-Payer Advocates

by John S. Adams

HELENA - Sen. Max Baucus is set to meet with five single-payer health

care advocates in Washington, D.C., this week.

Baucus, as

chair of the Senate Finance Committee, has made health care reform his

top priority this session. However, Baucus has consistently said

single-payer - a system in which the federal government acts as the

nation's sole health insurance provider - is off the table.

"For more than a year, Senator Baucus has met with thousands of people,

representing hundreds of views on how to reform our health care

system," Baucus spokesman Ty Matsdorf stated in an e-mail. "This

meeting is no different. Max hopes to talk, and listen, to these folks

totry and find the best way to make sure every Montanan has access to

quality, affordable health care."

Last week, members of Baucus' staff held 20 listening sessions across

the state on health care reform. At several of those meetings,

Montanans expressed anger over Baucus' steadfast refusal to consider a

single-payer option.

Last month Baucus had 13 protesters removed from Senate Finance

Committee hearings after the protesters demanded that single-payer

advocates be given a seat at the table during health care reform

hearings.

According to the Web site SinglePayerAction.org, Baucus will meet with

Dr. David Himmelstein, associate professor of medicine at Harvard

Medical School and co-founder of Physicians for a National Health

Program (PNHP); Dr. Marcia Angell, senior lecturer, Harvard Medical

School and former editor-in-chief of the New England Journal of

Medicine; Dr. Oliver Fein, associate dean, Cornell Weill Medical School

and president of PNHP; Rose Ann DeMoro, executive director of the

California Nurses Association; and Geri Jenkins, president of

California Nurses Association.

Angell said the group plans to urge Baucus to give serious

consideration to Congress' two primary single-payer bills, S. 703, by

Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., and H.R. 676, by Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich.

"We will make a case that there should be full hearings on Sanders'

bill, and we'll make the case that the (Congressional Budget Office)

should cost-out the Sanders and Conyers bills," Angell said in an

interview Monday. "We'll make the case that single-payer advocates

should have a chance to meet with the president. We will argue for

holding public hearings on health reform that include single payer

witnesses."

Matsdorf said the June 3 meeting was scheduled prior to last week's

well-attended health care listening sessions, but Angell said she

believes the pressure Montanans put on Baucus in recent weeks helped

open the door for Wednesday's meeting.

"I think Sen. Baucus may be surprised at the amount of push-back he has

gotten for just ruling (single-payer) off the table," Angell said. "It

may indicate that he's starting to feel pressure, and that's all for

the good."

Copyright ©2009 Great Falls Tribune

Backup URL: http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2009/06/02-1