[lbo-talk] another DH loves BHO in Cairo

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 21:41:43 PDT 2009

Michael Smith wrote:

>>> What was (presumably) in somebody's interest was to invade
>>> Afghanistan.
>>>
>> After which they promptly toppled the Taliban. What a weird coincidence.
>>

> They didn't exactly "topple the Taliban". But, arguendo, if they had -- why
> would they still be there? Mission accomplished, right?

Because currently the Taliban is trying to retake power and they're trying to prevent that. You do keep up with the newspapers, right?

>> http://www.the-american-interest.com/article-bd.cfm?piece=423
>>
>>> In the 1990s, Iran and Russia saw the Taliban (like the previous U.S.
>>> policy tilt toward Saddam Hussein) as part of a U.S.-Pakistani-Saudi
>>> plan to encircle Iran. The strengthening of links between the Taliban
>>> and al-Qaeda, and the consequent worsening of relations between the
>>> United States, on the one hand, and Pakistan and the Taliban, on the
>>> other, culminated in a temporary realignment after September 11.
>>>

> This all seems utterly incoherent to me -- like a desperate
> post-hoc attempt to devise a theory without having the essential
> information.

This is starting to feel a lot like a debate with a creationist. How about let's just agree to disagree. I'll side with Barnett Rubin and you side with "who knows, maybe God hid the dinosaur bones to make us *think* Russia never felt threatened by the Taliban?"

SA