[lbo-talk] munchers

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Jun 9 15:44:07 PDT 2009

At 12:27 PM 6/9/2009, Carrol Cox wrote:
>Cbc: This caught my attention also in shag's first post, and for
>essentially the same reasons Michael gives here: Origins and/or
>evolution of language is not a topic that belongs to any systematic
>study.

well, it is being systematically studied, in spite of Chomsky's insistance that it can't be -- and in spite of yours. oh yes, yes indeed, she knows all about just-so stories and what that criticism means.

This books provides an overview of that research and, of course, she's not so stupid as to make the mistake you two are so quick to accuse her of. it rather astounds me that both of you would prefer to think she's a fool than to assume that maybe, just maybe, she's aware of the criticism, responded to it, and proceeded along quite nicely, thank you very much.

i'm sure there are reviews out there that both of you can find and read. currently, i don't have time to transcribe. as you both know, i normally do transcribe but, right now, bigger fish to fry. it's summer, my bike is out of storage ... and wheeeeeeeeeeee! you'll have to wait till winter i guess. :)

oh, and i caught some whiff of how noam is such a nice guy. the criticism wasn't that he wasn't. the criticism was of the use of logical fallacy to score debate points.

ta.

shag

"let's be civil and nice, but not to the point of obeying the rules of debate as defined by liberal blackmail (in which, discomfort caused by a challenge is seen as some vague form of harassment)."

-- Dwayne Monroe, 11/19/08

-- http://cleandraws.com Wear Clean Draws