[lbo-talk] munchers

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Jun 10 08:11:23 PDT 2009

ravi wrote:
> On Jun 10, 2009, at 1:18 AM, Michael McIntyre wrote:
>> So then, mathematicians by definition have no research program.
>

> You beat me to that. Miles, really, what's with the empirical fetish?
> ;-) That is indeed blunt, but in a different sense than you intended.
>
> --ravi
I just don't understand the casual and loose way that people are using the term "research program". Apparently it is ludricious to state that mathematicians don't have a research program. The fact is--they don't. They're not doing research, they're doing mathematics. Research involves empirical investigation.

Perhaps people are using the term "research" to mean "academic inquiry" in a general way? If so, I agree that Chomksy has a research program, but then so does every philosopher and literary theorist.

Note that this is not an attack on these areas of study: I consider them valuable aspects of human experience and knowledge. However, there is a meaningful conceptual distinction to be drawn between fields that build knowledge on the basis of empirical test and those that do not. Claiming that someone has a "research program" when they have not conducted any research to test their theories is bizarre to me.

Miles