[lbo-talk] munchers

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Wed Jun 10 08:27:24 PDT 2009

On Jun 10, 2009, at 11:11 AM, Miles Jackson wrote:
> ravi wrote:
>> On Jun 10, 2009, at 1:18 AM, Michael McIntyre wrote:
>>> So then, mathematicians by definition have no research program.
>>
>> You beat me to that. Miles, really, what's with the empirical
>> fetish? ;-) That is indeed blunt, but in a different sense than you
>> intended.
>>
> I just don't understand the casual and loose way that people are
> using the term "research program". Apparently it is ludricious to
> state that mathematicians don't have a research program. The fact
> is--they don't. They're not doing research, they're doing
> mathematics. Research involves empirical investigation.
> Perhaps people are using the term "research" to mean "academic
> inquiry" in a general way? If so, I agree that Chomksy has a
> research program, but then so does every philosopher and literary
> theorist.
>
> Note that this is not an attack on these areas of study: I consider
> them valuable aspects of human experience and knowledge. However,
> there is a meaningful conceptual distinction to be drawn between
> fields that build knowledge on the basis of empirical test and those
> that do not. Claiming that someone has a "research program" when
> they have not conducted any research to test their theories is
> bizarre to me.

Miles,

there are multiple definitions of research, and I am comfortable with this one: a systematic search for knowledge (which I cobbled together from wordnet.princeton.edu). If your quibble is with this usage, then I think since the rest of us do not seem to be worried, you should mentally substitute the term of your choice -- or alternatively, if the rest are willing to go along, I will be glad to substitute "inquiry" for "research" in all future email.

I am not trying to be snarky: I do think that we are not using the term in a loose manner, just one that is different from the one you have in mind. Borrowing from what you write above, I do in fact think that there is nothing fundamentally different, in terms of inquiry or research, between what [empirical] scientists do and what mathematicians or philosophers -- verification of propositions does not necessarily depend on observation of the natural world.

--ravi